Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The Vomiting Contest



Unfortunately, Julien got horribly sick with a 24-hour bug of some sort the first night in Paris, starting at 3:00AM. I've never seen him vomit so much! I went to a pharmacy as soon as it opened & got something to calm down his tummy, but it took a while to work. I even called the American Hospital and talked to a doctor who confirmed that I did get the correct medicine (I wanted to double check because my whole conversation with the pharmacist had been in French) and he recommended electrolytes. Once we finally were able to get him to keep down a glass of electrolytes we were around the corner. What a relief!

Needless to say, this made our trip get off to a slightly slow start. When we first arrived (before he got sick) he was so excited. He even asked for "deux bagguettes si vous plait" when we went in to a boulangerie. When we got back he proceeded to eat almost an entire bagguette. Unfortunately, since he got sick after eating it he was then turned off of baggettes the whole trip.

We had a conversation about the illness the other day...
Julien: I don't like vomiting.
Adrienne: I know it is very unpleasant, I am sorry you got sick.
J: Why did I swallow a bug?
A: You didn't really swallow a bug. Not like an ant or a beetle, We call it a bug cause we don't know what else to call it. Really it is an organism.
J: I know what to call it.
A: What?
J: (with a little smile) A vomiting contest!
A: A vomiting Contest!?! Did you win the contest?
J: No, no one wins the vomiting contest.

No comments: