Thursday, February 22, 2007

Wild for Cockatoos!

Julien's most recent obsession is parrots- in particular cockatoos. Why? I'm not totally certain. We did see one at the Alligator Farm in Florida, but that alone does not explain it. Julien talks about them constantly. Right now he has two as imaginary pets, Polly and Ten (why Ten? ten is Ten's favorite number). He found Ten at school. He broke his wing against the playground fence and Julien nursed him back to health and let him sleep with him at nap time. At home Ten sleeps in Julien's dresser drawer. Polly has been with us longer. Julien and Richard made him a home, a cage constructed out of cardboard boxes. Last night I saw a scratch on Julien's shoulder and I asked him how he got it. His response? "Polly scratched me by accident when she perched on my shoulder." The other day we went in to talk to Carol, the director of Hoosier Courts (Julien's pre-school). He said "I see cockatoos playing all over the playground, but nobody else can see them!" Carol responded, "but as we know, just because no one else can see them doesn't mean they aren't there!"

No comments: