Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Peanut butter play dough

We recently made peanut butter play dough, following a recipe from the "Peanut Butter Party" book. Lots of fun.

Last week Julien had me read "The Young French Chef" as his bedtime book every night. It is a recipe book my sister and I used when we were little girls (published in 1969). It's great. Julien's favorites (to read) are "Mackerel in Foil," "Crepes" and "Chocolate Mousse," although the only recipe we have actually made so far is for crepes. When I read it I skip the intro that says, "This book is intended as a beginning book of French Cooking, to introduce American girls to the joys of French Cuisine." But I do read the section titled, "Before you begin," which includes, "If you are roasting meat or deep-frying, protect your hair from odors with a scarf."

I'm not sure what he likes about this book, the promise of good food? That children are expected to be capable of making something of substance? Is it the similarity to a chemistry experiment? Or is it just the straight forward declarative sentences?

No comments: