Monday, November 21, 2005

Night Time Story

Every night when we put Julien to bed Richard reads Julien a story and then I lie in bed with Julien in the dark and tell him two stories. It is a long process, and it seems to be getting longer as time progresses. He has started to frequently get out of bed a couple times before finally settling in.

Last night after our second story, which was about Thanksgiving, the conversation continued:
A: "good night"
J: "But the story's not done!"
A: "Yes it is. We were done eating and we all went to bed."
J: "But it's not over. It continues all the way up until I am big and strong like Daddy!"
A: "That would be a long story."
J: "Tell me."
A: "OK, I'll tell you the quick version. When you turn five you will go to kindergarten, when you are six you will go to first grade (this continues all the way up until..) When you are 18 you will go to college for 4 years and then you can decide if you want to continue being a student as a graduate student, or go to work."
J: "I will choose going to work."
A: " And what will you do for work?"
J: "I will be a paleontologist. And I will work with the paleontologist in the Geology Department."
A; "you mean Steph who gave us a tour of the fossils in the Geology Department?"
J: "Yes, Steph. I will work with her."
A: "And will she teach you stuff?"
Long pause
J: "I won't be a kid any more so I will know a lot. I won't need her to teach me."

No comments: